Castelo De Monsaraz
30cm x 30 cm
oil on wood board
The area was under the control of the Moors during the Islamic period of Portugal's history before it was stormed by the legendary Portuguese warrior Geraldo Sem Pavor (Gerald the Fearless) in 1167. This was part of the campaign that also saw the capture of the Castle of Evoramonte (Castelo de Evoramonte).
It was then given to the Knights Templar and later the Order of Christ to garrison. The castle became one of a series of forts kept by King Dinis (1261-1325) to protect the border with Castile.